Protection from rain and snow
The Dimetix sensors are IP65 protected (dust and splash water proof). Nevertheless, they should not be permanently exposed to rain or snow:
- Standing water on the valve diaphragm on the sensors back side can leak in over time.
- Water drops or standing water on the optics can interfere with the measurement.
- Dirt and dust dissolved in the rainwater are deposited on the optics.
Depending on the alignment of the sensor, the following measures are possible:
- Horizontally or vertically downwards: Protective roof above the sensor (first picture on the left).
- Vertically upwards: Glass roof above the sensor (second picture on the left). Please also note the separate article measuring through glass.
Depending on the site of operation, dust protection is also recommended:
- Dust on the sensor optics can lead to mismeasurement.
- Too frequent or inappropriate cleaning can reduce the service life of the sensor optics. Please also note the separate article cleaning the sensor.
The following realizations are possible:
- Dust-proof housing with a glass window through which measurements are taken (third picture). Please note the separate article measuring through glass. To prevent condensation, the housing should have an opening on the underside covered with a dust filter.
- Housing under slight overpressure with an open measuring window similar to the Dimetix Air-cooling jacket (fourth picture).
Direct sunlight on the optics can lead to measurement errors. If measurements are taken in the direction of the sun, the sensor optics should therefore be shaded. The following measures have proven effective:
- Roof with overhang (fifth picture). It makes sense to realize this as a combined sun and rain protection.
- A tube in front of the sensor optics can be even more effective (bottom picture). However, the tube must not mask either the laser exit lens nor the sensor entrance lens. The pipe diameter should therefore not be too small (C-Series and D-Series min. 35 mm). Ideally, the inside of the pipe should be as dark and matt as possible.
A closed housing exposed to the sun can heat up considerably and the max. operating temperature of the sensor can be exceeded. Therefore additional measures may be necessary such as:
- Light exterior color of the housing.
- Insulated housing top side.
- Doubled top side of housing with air gap.
- Actively cooled housing.
After completing the installation, be sure to check
- The sensors black or transparent plastic rear cover must close tightly.
- Tighten the sensors cable gland, so that it closes firmly.